April 22, 2008

A proud one, I am.

Mood: sleepy!
Listening to: Melee - Built To Last

Hello folks!

As you may have noticed, I've got a new banner in my blog. This banner was designed by my super-talented Graphic Designer to be, my very own little sister, Alexandra Talissa.

She's 5½ years younger than me. The quite big age gap made us argue oftenly when we were kids (what are kids to do, right?). We shared the same love for art. At such a young age, both of us loves to draw japanese manga characters - we would spend hours and hours 'imagining' this far far away land - where the characters are named after flowers and seasons - and our mum yelling at the background, telling us to stop drawing and do our homework.


Me & lil missy @ Kuala Lumpur, 2008

But since I went to college, my drawings stopped there. I never practiced again - well, occassionally - but not my sister. She drew and drew, she even taught herself photoshop (and now she's an expert on one, that is!). I took business pathway in University, just like what my mum wanted me to, only to find that I don't like it at all. My mum 'learned her lesson' of not forcing her daughters on what to study, so she let my lil sis took Art in Uni.

And true enough, she mastered it. She's a natural. A great Graphic Designer to be, a great Illustrator and I have never been prouder. Her works at the moment were published in her school's website and she told me yesterday that one of her Typography artwork is going to be in the students exhibition.




Some of my sister's artwork @ Uni

I always wonder to myself, what life would be like if I followed my heart to study design? I always have that passion for art and design, whether it's fashion, graphic or interior. I didn't insist when my mum told me not to take design, or when my dad said 'do not take architecture like I did, you wouldn't sleep for days'. To be honest, until today I still have that regret and 'what-ifs' about Design school. I so want it - I just didn't insist hard enough.

There were times in my Uni years that I struggled so much to finish my subjects. I would broke down in tears, called up my mum and say that I couldn't do it. My mum regretted pushing me to choose business school - like what she did when I was in highschool (I ended up in Economics major, not in Art major which I would like to be). I still ended up as the student with highest Accounting score from the entire school, but mind you, I do not like numbers. Never do, never will. I am planning to go to design school - if it's not too late because I really really want it.

That's why I am so proud of my sister. She nailed it. She followed her heart and she used her potential to the maximum capacity. I am proud on what she achieved, how she's changed and excel in her studies. My mum and I would brag constantly about her 'geniusness' and would admire her artwork for hours.

So there you go! She's on her term break now and bored to death (or so to speak) - so I, being a very understanding sister, decided to use her ask her to do my blog's banner. She did it only in a couple of hours... and it's beautiful! I loved it! but still she said she's not satisfied because she's used to work on things for days until she's completely satisfied (yes, she is a perfectionist, like me).

I hope you like the banner, as I do! Thanks again lil sis :) Love you much!!! Updated my blog with a web counter as well, and also re-designed the profile picture part of the blog... nothing much, but I'm in the process in designing a new layout as a whole and am in the process of launching yet another blog of mine which according to my friends 'you should do this kind of blog' ... so watch this space!!


xoxo



Share/Save/Bookmark

2 thoughts:

'ngel said...

"my dad said 'do not take architecture like I did, you wouldn't sleep for days'." ---> Ameennnn to that! cannot agree more! (the sleep-deprived part) hehehehe

Not that i want to scare you, but in design you'll cry even more & definitely more breakdowns. It's both emotionally & physically draining (based on my experience).
But hey, do give it a shot otherwise u'll always keep wonder. ;)

Lauren said...

awwwwwwwww I want a pretty bog, make one for meeeeee!