August 07, 2007

More than just a pretty face

Lately, I found myself obsessing over flowers. I don't know why! Maybe it's because I've been helping in organizing one of my best friends' wedding and the fact that everyone is getting married so I'll be seeing lots and lots of flowers. And I'm really into a shabby chic vintage kind of mode at the moment, so maybe that explains my flower obsession.

It's incredible that God creates such beautiful things... like me! (haha!) no no, seriously... There are so many different types of flowers with different shapes, forms, textures and colors. It's just amazing how God came up with that! I have a few flowers that I really fancied. Roses are classic, Tulips are cute and Lilies are classic. But, my current favorite (the one that I'm obsessing over) is Peonies.



Somehow I found them classy and chic, with a subtle hint of flirtatiousness. It has lots of ruffles which adds texture and volume to it looks topped off with pretty pastel colors as well (the one pictured above have strong fuschia colors.. still loved it though!). I had purchased some fake ones (mind you, I don't have a green thumb so might as well go with the fake ones hehehe. But I really wanted the real one though...) to be placed in my so-called 'vintage corner' in my room. I did take a picture of it, however the flower that I placed on my dressing table aren't the peonies (I placed it somewhere else) but I'll just show you a peek on that vintage-corner anyway...


Anyhoo, Peonies have been used a lot in weddings as bouquets and centerpieces. So I'm a bit curious on what's the meaning of the flower itself. Apparently, flowers have language! Therefore we can't just by any flower for any occasion since it might send the wrong message. The language of flowers are called Florigraphy. I managed to google it, and found some... here you go for your guideline (especially for you, Adams... hehehe)

  • Alstroemeria: a cut flower available in a variety of colors, symbolizes strong bond with another person, as well as prosperity
  • Amaryllis: an indoor flowering bulb whose showy blossoms represent pride and radiant beauty
  • Azalea: symbolizes first love and romance
  • Carnations: represent pride and beauty
  • Chrysanthemum: symbolizes fidelity- a great choice to celebrate your wedding anniversary!
  • Daffodil: a sure sign of spring, but also represents chivalry
  • Daisy: signifies loyal love
  • Delphinium: this rare blue flower symbolizes all things heavenly
  • Peony: a flower originally from China, traditionally means "I love you"
  • Statice: stands for remembrance–include them in a bouquet to tell your sweetheart you miss them
  • Stock: a fragrant flower meaning "you'll always be beautiful to me"
  • Sunflower: a statement of pure love, longevity, and adoration
  • Tulip: a symbol of fame, but also stands for the "perfect lover"
  • Violet: represents faithfulness and affection
Ahh... perfection :) can't wait to use it on my own wedding (which is, WHEN? hahaha)





Share/Save/Bookmark

7 thoughts:

PangTama said...

Tazh Tazh...what's the meaning of lilies? heheh i need to know...too bad i can't get calla lilies :(

kezia*anastasia said...

Lilies are symbols of innocence and purity, fang :)

a perfect flower for your wedding

(not that u're innocent and pure. HAHAHHAHAHHAA. just kiddingggggg ^_^)

Oh for the love of food! said...

Hey Kezia! Thanks for dropping by my blog, so, you're into shabby chic I see.. I love your Vintage corner, you are such a romantic! I have never seen peonies selling here, have you? I buy fresh flowers once a week, they really brighten up the place ;o)

kezia*anastasia said...

Hi Carol! thanks for dropping by! yes yes i'm so into shabby chic, i wish i can redecorate the whole house!

And you're right.. I have NOT seen any peonies on sale here (yet), flowers make such a statement, don't they? :)

Anonymous said...

To me flowers are like angels smiling. This is why I often take photos of them. The funny thing is, living in a country which is not my home country makes it difficult for me to identify them.

Weddings are exciting, especially when the ones getting married are special to us and are truly in love.

I hope your friends enjoy their special day.

joy
The Goddess In You

Anonymous said...

I would like to invite you to my website The Goddess In You. Explore it and if you like what we're trying to achieve I hope that you'll be inclined to contribute an article/s to our Arts and Culture Goddess page, or the Fashion Goddess page, and any other page you are interested in.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon,
joy
The Goddess In You

kezia*anastasia said...

Hi Joy :)

thanks for dropping by to my humble little blog. such a pleasure to be visited by you! love your blog by the way, and I will be thrilled to contribute an article to it in the near future.

Thankssss :)