August 15, 2007

Our "pursuit of happyness"

Lately I felt so tired. Tired of routines, the things that I have to do on a daily basis day after day. It seems like my life's pretty much the same. Nothing is exciting anymore and to add to that I feel like I didn't have enough rest.

So tonight I dragged Rey to accompany me to Video Ezy (hehe, thanks Rey!). I need to unwind, and one of the easy ways to do it is to watch some DVDs. One DVD in particular caught my eyes. It was the movie I really wanted to watch since it came out but never had a chance to watch it. It was Will Smith's 'The Pursuit of Happyness' which was inspired by Chris Gardner's true story... I know it's really lateeeee since the movie came out months ago, but better late than never, right :)

I was so amazed on how 'personal' and deeply moving this movie is. It told us about a man named Chris Gardner who pursued his dream and put his son's welfare and safety more than anything. The movie potrayed the most crucial and painful moments in his life, when he thought his world had ended, but he always managed to soar right through it. He even experienced being homeless, completely broke and had to sleep in a public restroom with his son.

His diligence and persistence gave him the reward (or happiness, as he called it) in the end. Resulting on him being one of the most well-known broker in the world until this very second (he even had a private conversation with Nelson Mandela and even helped Bill Clinton managed the economy while he was still the president of USA), but what amazes me is that he created more work opportunities for people. He spreads his 'happiness' to others.

As I finished watching this movie, I couldn't help but wonder... how do we define happiness? As Pastor D's sermon at THE ROCKS last week said... we don't even know for sure what makes us happy. In a way, that's true... a bit ironic, isn't it?

I guess our definition of happiness would be different from each other. Some may state a wealthy life as their happiness. Some may state having a happy family or going on a trip around the world. Different people have different definitions. What's mine? what's yours?

I don't know for sure what's my happiness is, but I know some things are able to make me feel a little bit better... things like:
  • Knowing that my favorite pair of shoes are on sale for half price (or more)
  • Having a stash of my favorite sambel pete around to eat
  • A good hair day
  • When the clock hits 5 pm on working days... that means home time!
  • Staying at home on a rainy afternoon, slouching in bed all day with a good book and jazz music playing on the background
  • The sound of my loved ones' voices
  • Being slapstick-silly with my dad
  • Hanging out with friends watching Australian Idol with KFC for dinner :)
  • A good homemade meal back at Indonesia
  • Cuddling around my lil sis and mum every night. Chatting away until we got very very sleepy
  • Chit chat coffee-time with my nyonkies
  • Shopping spree!!! or window shopping would do as well
  • Going to Ikea and then redecorate my room
  • Buying a Chanel Le Vernis
  • Having a manicure and a pedicure
  • Watching a good movie on DVD, accompanied with a bowl of chocolate ice cream (like tonight!)
  • Helping others and put smiles on their faces
Those are only some I can think of. I'm sure we all will be adding to the list as we go through the journey of life, until we find that eternal happiness (which I found in my Salvation, thank God). Pay attention to the word 'pursuit'. We all are in a journey to find happiness, to pursue happiness and to have hopes to achieve it someday, somehow. And again, the word 'pursuit' means it won't come easy at all. We will have to push through, shed tears, feel pain, sacrifice and a whole lot more... But in the end it's going to be worth it... it's happiness :)

Oh and by the way, Euphoria means at the state of extreme happiness (if you don't get what I'm talking about... read the post before this one). So I think it's just the proper name for the business as our aim and goal is to help them and bring happiness to others.

After all,
There's no point of being happy if you can't bring happiness to other people's lives, right? :)


PS: for those of you who are struggling this very moment. No matter what you are facing, I am praying for you. Heaven is not far away :)


Share/Save/Bookmark

3 thoughts:

Oh for the love of food! said...

Hi Tazh!, wev'e all had one of these days when routine becomes a drag and we need to change the 'scene' for a bit. Focussing and working on 'Euphoria' is one excellent way or you could getaway, even a few days would really help us recuperate from our temporary 'blah'. I really want to get to know you better, Tazh, you and Mady and Xenia and a couple of the other girls at Church. Maybe we could all have a once a week coffee and cake get-together or we can even do lunch, just to chat, get to know each other better and encourage one another , pray together, you know? I think that's one thing that I'd really like to do and which is missing from my life: a group of ladies who can help each other grow together in the Lord. What do you think?
Oh , you must tell me what sweets/desserts/cakes/cookies you like, I would like to bake you something when I get back from my trip. If you ever want to learn to bake anything, I would be happy to teach you. Just ask,ok? I'm no pro, I'm just learning myself because I'm such a dessert&sweet junkie! I only leave on Sunday evening, so see you in Church Sunday!

PangTama said...

Carol, we should have a cooking lesson at church :P.
Carol, we should have a cooking lesson at church :P.
It would be really useful especially for us girls, who have no clue how to cook (refer: me).

Tazh, i feel the same way, it's not that we are not grateful of God's blessings but our lives become a daily routine, and nothing exciting happen. We become bored and tired.

Anonymous said...

Happiness to me is a state of being, like bliss. You know that song that has lines that go, "Happiness is having a brother.... Happiness is..." There are many things that can make me happy - being with my babies Myko and Thaea, helping others, my family being healthy, spending time with friends - which is great. I try not to define it, lest I distill its true value :)