February 16, 2008

Comfort food

As for those of you who knows me well, you will know for sure that I love noodles more than I love rice. One of my favorite comfort food is the legendary... indomie! You are not indonesian or any other asian if you don't like instant noodles :P

I know it's not healthy - but who could resist them? With so many variations of delicious taste, you simply couldn't say no to them.

To cut our expenses from eating out (believe me, eating out here is not like eating out in Jakarta in the Abang-Abang section which cost you only what... $1.50?) my friends and I are implementing (duile bahasanya) a new tradition of cooking on weekends. We would decide on what to cook, and then on weekends we would gather up at someone's house (usually Fang's or Chris's) to put the menu into practice!

Today I would like to share one of my comfort food recipes... My grandma used to cook indomie like this and we all loved it. I shared it with my friends the other day and now they're hooked! (I guess Gossip Girl is not the only thing that can get you hooked).

Anyway... here goes... presenting the "Talkative Noodle" aka "Bakmie Bawel" (yes, they named it that way because apparently I love to talk.. geez!) or the more 'kampung' version of the name is InTerNet (Indomie, Telor, Kornet) Best to be eaten at winter time!


Bakmie Bawel
Serves: one

Ingredients:
Blue Band Margarine (the best brand, seriously)
Garlic
Chilli
Egg
Indomie kuah (preferable Soto Mie)
Hamper Beef Corned (or Spam would do too)
Meatballs (any kind you like)
Vegetables (any kind you like)
Coriander
Lemon
Water
But again, these ingredients can be altered depending on your preferences.



Method

  1. Chopped up garlic roughly and diced spam (if you decided to use spam, if you are using the hamper beef, just put it to the wok straight away later) and slice the chilli.
  2. Heat up your wok (make sure your wok is deep enough for the soup) and put one tsp of Blue Band Margarin
  3. Sautee the garlic and chilli until their aroma comes out, put your spam/hamper beef into the wook. Sautee until it changes color.
  4. Put one (or two) chicken eggs and scramble it (if you want to have an egg sauce instead of normal soup, put the eggs last after the soup and stir)
  5. Pour hot water inside the wok. If you don't like it too soup-y don't pour too much of the water (just as long as you can cook the noodles) but if you like the soup, be my guest :)
  6. Put your uncooked indomie noodles inside, and put the spices from the packet straight into the bowl!
  7. Stir well, put your vegetables inside.
  8. After it's cooked, pour a little bit of soup into the bowl to stir the spices with. After it's stirred, pour the whole thing inside the bowl
  9. Squeeze one slice of lemon on top, decorate it with fried shallots, chillies and corianders
  10. Eat up and enjoy :)

Best served during winter, with friends and laughter on the side :)





Share/Save/Bookmark

2 thoughts:

Ming the Merciless said...

I love Indomie Instant Noodles but it makes me thirsty all night long. And then I drink too much water and have to go to the bathroom all night long.

Okay, too much information. ;-)

kezia*anastasia said...

Haha.. that makes the two of us, Ming!